My husband watched in shock when I ordered a 25 lb bag of chickpeas from Bountiful Baskets Food Co-Op but I declared that we would never go hungry as long as we had chickpeas. My husband isn’t nearly as enamored with chickpeas so he thought for sure he would starve.
Lucky for him, I think that chickpeas are such a versatile ingredient: you can eat them hot or cold, they can be a side dish or the main event, they are delicious roasted or pureed. I’ve shared before that on the weekends, I will often make a crockpot of chickpeas (or other beans) to use throughout the week. I needed a quick side for dinner tonight so I whipped up this simple and flavorful salad starring my beloved chickpeas with lemon, fresh basil and Parmesan playing the supporting role. Although I made this as a side dish, it would make a great salad for lunch, too.
- 1 carrot, diced small
- 1/2 summer squash, diced small
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or two cups)
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 t olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 C grated parmesan
- Combine all of the ingredients except parmesan in a medium bowl.
- Add grated parmesan and gently toss.
- Devour chilled or at room temperature