We have enough demands in life, don’t you think? Everyone that I know is running high on “to do” and short on time (and maybe patience). Sometimes we have to start making demands of the things in our life. Today, I demanded that dinner be quick, easy and comforting. It is darn cold around here and I can’t tolerate for one of these demands not to be met.
Luckily, dinner met all of my specifications. I chopped up everything and put it in the crockpot this morning. I had red corn in the freezer from a case that I processed and froze over the summer. I also put in a jalapeño to add a little bit of spice. If you like more spice, you can add more jalapeño than this (or leave the seeds in). If you don’t like it you can leave it out. When we got home from my daughter’s dance class, I added the butter and cream.
- 24 ounces potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 C corn
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 6 C chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or dried if that is all you have)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeño, remove stems and seeds and dice small
- 2 links smoked sausage, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Put potatoes,corn, jalapeño and sausage into a slow cooker. Add flour and toss to combine.
- Add other ingredients except cream and butter.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- Stir in butter and heavy cream.